The Silhouette Cameo is an awesome electronic cutting machine that allows your the precision of machine cuts into a plethora of cutting materials. Paper, Vinyl, Tattoo Paper, Magnet Sheets and more.
If you are just getting started, I urge you to check out my Getting Started with a Silhouette Cameo post. Follow along to build your skills and become an expert crafter!
Silhouette Basics – Getting Started
Cameos have a 12″ cut width capability and can cut up to 10 feet in length.
A Portrait is a great machine as well. It is more budget-friendly but only has an 8 inch by 10 feet long cutting capability.
The Cameo uses a design software called Silhouette Studio. This software is the communication between your machine and the awesome designs you want to cut! There are several different versions of this software that will allow you to do different things:
- Silhouette Studio: This is free and you may download it here.
- Silhouette Studio Designer Edition: This version is a paid upgrade and allows you to import your own artwork in SVG format and create new designs using extra design tools and features.
- Silhouette Studio Designer Edition Plus: This version is a paid upgrade and includes all the SS Designer Edition features as well as additional file import options and also provides advanced rhinestone features.
- Silhouette Studio Business Editon: This is a paid upgrade and includes all SSDesigner Edition and SSDesigner Edition Plus features as well as provides features such as SVG export and more advanced features. It is designed for large-scale projects and high quantity production to help save time on larger amounts of materials.
Which Version of Silhouette Software do I need?
Great question and my answer is that I recommend starting with the Free Version and as your abilities grow and you are more comfortable with designing and with your machine, upgrade to the Silhouette Studio Designer Edition (which is what I have).
TIP: You cannot import SVG files with the free version but you can import the .DXF files and most designers offer this option in their download bundles! So YAY for the free version of the software working great!
Silhouette Material Tutorials
What materials can I cut on my Cricut?
- Heat Transfer Vinyl (HTV or Iron-On)
- Sticker Paper
- Stamp medium
- Tattoo Paper
- Magnet Paper
- Foil Sticker Paper
- Scratch Off Sticker Paper
- Printable Cotton Fabric
- + so much more.
Here are some tutorials on cutting different mediums using your Silhouette.
- Vinyl Basics
- How to Apply Vinyl
- Heat Transfer Basics (Iron-on)
- How to Apply Heat Transfer Vinyl
- How to Use Silhouette Custom Stamp Material
Silhouette Feature Tutorials
Learn the Silhouette machine as well as how to use different features in the Silhouette Studio Design program with these easy to follow photo tutorials.
My Silhouette Cameo is one of my favorite crafting tools! See all the projects you can make with it below!
[cgview id=21 name=quick-crafts num=50 tags=vinyl size=200×200 quality=75 lightbox=0]
Sketch Pen Projects
[cgview id=21 name=quick-crafts num=50 tags=sketch-pens size=200×200 quality=75 lightbox=0]
[cgview id=21 name=quick-crafts num=50 tags=paper size=200×200 quality=75 lightbox=0]
[cgview id=21 name=quick-crafts num=50 tags=chipboard size=200×200 quality=75 lightbox=0]
Heat Transfer Vinyl Projects
[cgview id=21 name=quick-crafts num=50 tags=Heat-Transfer,silhouette size=200×200 quality=75 lightbox=0]
Fabric Interfacing Projects
[cgview id=21 name=quick-crafts num=50 tags=fabric-interfacing size=200×200 quality=75 lightbox=0]
Fabric Ink Projects
[cgview id=21 name=quick-crafts num=50 tags=fabric-ink size=200×200 quality=75 lightbox=0]
Double Sided Adhesive
[cgview id=21 name=quick-crafts num=50 tags=double-sided-adhesive size=200×200 quality=75 lightbox=0]
[cgview id=21 name=quick-crafts num=50 tags=stamp-kit size=200×200 quality=75 lightbox=0]
[cgview id=21 name=quick-crafts num=50 tags=sticker-paper size=250×250 quality=75 lightbox=0]
[cgview id=21 name=quick-crafts num=50 tags=magnet-paper size=200×200 quality=75 lightbox=0]
[cgview id=21 name=quick-crafts num=50 tags=tattoo-paper size=200×200 quality=75 lightbox=0]
Print & Cut
[cgview id=21 name=quick-crafts num=50 tags=print-&–cut size=200×200 quality=75 lightbox=0]