What’s better than a hot chocolate bomb? A Mickey Mouse Hot Chocolate Bomb! These delicious and trendy treats are taking mugs by storm and rightfully so because not only do they taste good they take the hot chocolate experience to a whole new level!
What is a Hot Chocolate Bomb?
A hot chocolate bomb is a hollow chocolate shell most of the time in the shape of a sphere that has hot chocolate mix and toppings inside.
The hot chocolate bomb is placed in a mug and hot water or hot milk is slowly poured over the top melting the hard chocolate sphere.
When weaken enough the candy shell “explodes” (nicely pops open) revealing the toppings and hot chocolate mix!
Hot Chocolate Bomb Flavors & Fillings
The sky is the limit in regards to flavors and fillings! You can go traditional with mini-marshmallows or you can add some peppermint extract to your candy shell and fill the inside with crushed candy canes!
Fruit flavors like orange and raspberry are popular and some introduce white chocolate and make flavors like cookies & cream and birthday cake!
How to Store Mickey Hot Chocolate Bombs
Once complete you can store in an air tight container for up to a week.
If you want to gift them, I recommend placing the Mickey Hot Chocolate Bomb in a cupcake liner and then wrapping the liner and bomb in a cellophane bag. You can heat seal the bag or tie it tightly with a twisty tie!
If gifting more than one you can use these cupcake boxes to wrap and gift!
How to Use Mickey Hot Chocolate Bombs
To use and serve a hot chocolate bomb you will want to heat up 8-10 ounces of milk of your choice. The higher fat content (whole) will be creamier.
Simmer milk until just bubbling, careful not to scorch it.
Place the hot chocolate bomb in a mug and slowly pour the hot milk over top of the chocolate shell. When the shell cracks the inside hot chocolate mix and fillings will “explode” and then you can stir and enjoy!
MORE HOT CHOCOLATE RECIPES YOU WILL LOVE:
- Maple Bourbon Hot Chocolate
- The Best Stovetop Hot Chocolate
- Hot Chocolate on a stick
- Tuxedo Hot Chocolate Recipe
This post may contain Amazon Associate and other affiliate links.
As an Amazon affiliate, I earn a small commission from these links at no additional cost to you.
How to Make a Mickey Hot Chocolate Bomb
Mickey Inspired Hot Chocolate Bombs
- 30 ounces milk chocolate melting wafers, Ghirardelli brand
- 2 cups hot chocolate mix
- 2 cups mini-marshmallows
Make Chocolate Sphere Shells
- Use a paper towel or clean kitchen towel and wipe the inside of the silicone molds. This will allow your chocolate mold to have a shiny coat on it
- Remove about 16-20 size matching pieces of the melting wafers and set aside for the ears.
- Using a heat safe bowl, pour remaining melting chocolates into the bowl and place in the microwave for 45 second intervals. Make sure to stir the chocolate after each 45 seconds until completely melted and smooth.
- Spoon about 1-2 tbsp of the chocolate into the mold.
- Carefully swirl the chocolate or use an offset spatula to completely coat the inside of the mold.
- Lightly shake the extra chocolate back into the bowl.
- Place the coated molds into the refridgerator for 5-10 minutes
- Remove from the fridge and gently peel the silicone mold back away from the hardened chocolate shell.
- Repeat steps above so you have an even number of chocolate half sphere shells.
Assembling the Hot Chocolate Bomb
- Carefully place a half-sphere onto a cutting board
- Scoop about 1 tbsp of the hot cocoa mix into the bottom of the sphere mold
- Sprinkle in a few of the mini marshmallows
- Run a ceramic or glass plate under hot water for several minutes. Carefully remove and dry the plate.
- Gently rub the flat edge of the half-sphere on the warm plate to melt the surface chocolate.
- Carefully place the top shell onto the bottom and gently hold the top to the bottom for about 30 seconds to a minute to allow the piped chocolate to harden to the top shell
- Smooth the seam with the back of a spoon if necessary
- Place the mold back onto the cutting board
- Scoop some of the melted chocolate into a piping bag and cut the tip
- Drizzle chocolate over the mold
- Reaheat plate if needed.
- Melt the bottom of the chocolate wafer so that it becomes a flat edge instead of round edge
- Quickly place the freshly melted edge onto the side of the cocoa bomb to create a “Ear”
- Repeat the same step with the second ear
- Allow to harden before enjoying!
MORE MICKEY PROJECTS:
Leave A Reply!