Remember back in June I posted about Ryan’s Mickey Mouse Birthday Party?!? Well today I am going to share how I made the MickeyMouse Head shape for all the decorations!!! I used the same principal in Photoshop Elements also, so you can adapt if you aren’t needing one for your Silhouette!
Here is a quick tutorial on how to make a Mickey Mouse Head shape using your Silhouette Software. You can certainly adapt this method to make other shapes than Mickey…but Mickey was what I happened to be making so Mickey is what you get today :)
(I have the designer edition so my screen might look a bit different than yours, but I didn’t use anything fancy to do this so you should still be able to follow along!)
– Select the Ellipse Tool. To make a perfect circle, you have to hold down the shift key while dragging your shape. If you do not do this you will get an ellipse (oval) not a circle!
– Next make a smaller ellipse for one of Mickey’s ears. (Don’t worry if it isn’t perfect size, we will resize/reshape it later! ) While the ellipse is selected you will see a green dot. Use that to rotate the ellipse to the correct angle for Mickey’s Ear.
This next screen shot has several steps!
- 4. First Re-size your ear now that is is positioned correctly.
- 5. While you have the ear selected, click the “duplicate button” which resembles 2 boxes. (you can also right click the shape and select duplicate also)
- 6. Move the duplicated ear over to the other side of the circle and then you will need to flip it vertically so that it is a mirror image of the first. You can do this by right clicking the duplicate ellipse and then selecting “Flip Vertically” Make sure the two ears are level.
– Now you want to make all 3 shapes into 1 shape. To do this, click the “Select All” button and then click on the “Weld” button. This will weld all 3 shapes into one single shape.
Now you can resize the single image (Mickey’s Head) to any size you need for your different projects. I did this once and used the same shape for everything I made for Ryan’s Party, including the cute chalkboard labels for the Mason Jar Lids, his Mickey Birthday Banner , the Food Tent Cards and the Mickey Head on the Water Bottle Lables!