If you are looking for the best stove top hot chocolate recipe to replace the packets of mix, this is it! Creamy, decadent, and delicious! You will never want a packet again!
We love hot chocolate during the winter months, especially my kids. I am a big coffee drinker so they love when they can drink something out of mugs like me! It’s so cute!
I am guessing that the delicious chocolate rush has something to do with it also! I am not blaming them, this recipe is delicious! It’s creamy and full of flavor! Oh and did I mention marshmallows?!
My secret ingredient is 1 teaspoon of instant coffee. I know you might think I have lost my mind, but this time I haven’t! I promise! You won’t taste the coffee one bit however it really enhances the flavor of the chocolate in the hot chocolate recipe.
You can drink this as is because it is just that good! Or you can add some of my favorite little extras to mix it up a bit!
- Marshmallows (duh!)
- Red Hot Cinnamon Candies
- Whipped Cream
- Crushed Peppermint
- Mini Chocolate Chips
Stove Top Hot Chocolate Supplies:
You can make this ahead of time and simmer on low until your are ready or you can make it and refrigerate it and reheat. This is great for after sledding or looking at holiday lights or tailgates in teh early fall when it’s chilly. Wonderful for a hayride just add to a thermos and bring along!
I love to make this for family gatherings! It’s always a hit, especially if we have lots of mix-ins for everyone to customize their own mug!!
How to Make stove top hot chocolate
Stove Top Hot Chocolate Recipe
- 8 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups Heavy Whipping Cream
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk 1 small can
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 2 cups chocolate chips 1 bag semi-sweet
- Start off by adding your milk to a stock pot.
- Heat over medium heat until it's simmering and bubbling around the edges. Do not scorch!
- Once milk is bubbling add sweetened condensed milk, vanilla & instant coffee* and stir constantly until sweetened condensed milk is mixed through.
- Add chocolate chips and stir until they are fully melted.
- Ladle into mugs and top with your favorite hot chocolate toppings and enjoy!
© That’s What Che Said, LLC. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe.
You may also like these posts: