There might not be a better meal on a cold day or when you are under the weather than chicken noodle soup! What could be better you ask? Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup! Yes! You can make soup in the instant pot, easily! The flavor of slow-cooked ingredients in a matter of minutes instead of all day! This will soon become a family favorite recipe.
Whether you are a beginner or IP pro, you can check out everything instant pot here.
I am just going to say upfront that I really like some chicken and noodles in my chicken noodle soup! Sometimes I get it and it’s mostly broth. I like it hearty. So this recipe is hearty! Don’t worry, you won’t be sorry!
I will also tell you that I do add bullion cubes to this soup. Some people say that is cheating, I say it is flavor enhancing. You can use the cubes I used or you can use those concentrated gel things. Knolls makes some jelly-like ones that melt in your soup and those are really good too! I have used them before. I had cubes today so that’s what I used today!
For this recipe, I use the Saute feature to get a nice golden brown crust on the outside of the chicken thighs. Not only does this lock all the juices in the chicken while it cooks but it adds a ton of flavor! My rule is if you ever use the saute function to brown meat you must always deglaze the pot. This scrapes up all those cooked flavorful bits and puts them back into your soup instead stuck on the bottom of the pan. Don’t skip this!
If you are worried about dried out chicken have no fear. The browning combined with cooking the chicken in the broth yields juicy, tender, pull apart chicken! I easily used two forks and zero effort to shred this!
Tools for Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
Tips to Make Chicken Noodle Soup in an Instant Pot
- Use the Saute feature to brown your meat before cooking. Adds a whole new layer of flavor
- Season each layer. This is where soups often fall short, on real flavor! Season the chicken. Season the vegetables. Season the broth. Don’t be afraid of good ‘ole salt and pepper!
- Two ways to add the noodles. If you cook the noodles in the instant pot as I specify below, it often will make the broth of your soup a bit cloudy from the released starches. If you do not want cloudy broth, you will need to cook the noodles separately on the stove top. For me, a bit of cloudiness is worth the ease of one-pot cooking!
Don’t want to go to the grocery store? Check out InstantCart and we both get $10 off our order! They shop AND deliver to your doorstep! Or use Walmart Online Grocery. They shop, you pick it up and get $10 off your order as well! New customers only!
Does Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup Freeze Well?
Yes! Let the soup cool a bit and add to a freezer Ziploc bag or a Sealed storage container. Freeze. For the Ziplocs, I like to free them flat so they fit easily in my freezer.
When you need to eat it, you can defrost in the refrigerator and then reheat! Easy Peasy!
More Instant Pot Recipes:
- Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- Instant Pot Best Chicken Ever
- Instant Pot Pulled Pork
- Instant Pot Banana Bread
- Instant Pot Veggie Beef Soup
- Vegetarian Instant Pot Chili
- Instant Pot Thai Butternut Squash Soup
- Pressure Cooker Irish Stew
How Do I make Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup?
Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1.25 lbs Chicken Thighs boneless, skinless
- 3 each Carrots Large, chopped in 1 inch pieces
- 2 each Celery Stalks, chopped in 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 each onion small yellow, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 each Bay Leaf
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3 each Chicken Bouillon Cubes
- 3 cups Egg Noodles
- 2 tbsps Parsley finely chopped
- Salt & Pepper seasoning
- Turn on your Instant Pot and set the SAUTE function. When IP reads HOT, add 2 tablespoons olive oil to the pan.
- Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper on one side. Place in Instant Pot pan, seasoned sided down and season remaining side. Brown for 3-4 minutes on each side. Chicken will not be cooked through and that is OK.
- Remove chicken from pot and set aside on a plate.
- In pot, add onion, carrots, and celery and season with salt and pepper. Saute for 4-5 minutes until onion is translucent. Stir well.
- Add garlic and continue to stir for 1-2 minutes as to not burn the garlic.
- To deglaze the pot: Add 1/3 cup of your chicken broth to the pot and use a flat wooden spoon to scrape the bottom of the pot gathering all the cooked bits of flavor into your broth. Do not skip this step!
- Next add the chicken back into the pot, plus any juices left on the plate.
- Add your bay leaf and remaining chicken broth and bullion cubes. Stir well.
- Add lid to Instant Pot, set vent to sealing position and set Instant Pot to MANUEL for 7 minutes.
- When timer is up, carefully quick release the pressure on the pot. Remove lid and carefully remove chicken thighs with tongs and place on cutting board.
- Turn the pot from "keep warm" to "saute" by hitting cancel and then saute buttons.
- Bring soup up to a boil and add in egg noodles. Stir and cook for 4 minutes or until noodles are soft.
- While the noodles are cooking, shred chicken with 2 forks. Return Chicken to the Instant Pot and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove the Bay Leaf before serving.
- Top with some fresh parsley. (I know this seems silly but it adds so much fresh flavor! Trust me!)
- Flavor each layer! This is where soup usually falls flat by the lack of flavor. Embrace the salt and pepper!
- Two ways to add the noodles. If you cook the noodles in the instant pot like I specify above, the broth of your soup will appear a bit cloudy from the released starches. If you do not want cloudy broth, you will need to cook the noodles separately on the stove top. For me a bit of cloudiness is worth the ease of one pot cooking!