If you have an Instant Pot or another electronic pressure cooker then you have now found the BEST Instant Pot Chicken Ever here with this recipe I am going to share with you! You can use frozen or fresh chicken too! Yep, I said FROZEN! This is my favorite busy weeknight dinner idea and the chicken, potatoes, and carrots are all made in one pot!!
I have shared a variation of this recipe here with my Best Slow Cooker Chicken Ever. If you have an Instant Pot but are nervous about breaking out of the box I urge you to check out my Instant Pot Tips for Beginners post! It will take the fear out of the unknown for you and get you more comfortable with your new magic kitchen too!
Did you catch where I mentioned that you can make this with fresh or FROZEN chicken? You read that correctly! That is one of my most absolute favorite features about my IP is that you do not have to defrost your meat! I mean for any busy parent this is just amazing news!
I feel that I should also mention that this is a One Pot Chicken Meal as well! See those delicious carrots and potatoes?! They cooked right along with the chicken!! I take a total time saver and I use bottled Italian Dressing to cook it all in! This lends amazing flavor and all I had to do was open a bottle! No extra spices or measuring involved! So easy!
The chicken is fork tender when it comes out of the Instant Pot. When using fresh chicken you will get a browner sear on the meat. When using frozen like I did, the chicken will just be chicken color, lol! Both taste great in my opinion as I have made this so many times I can’t even count! I cook both ways just depending on what I have on hand at the moment.
Notes for Best Instant Pot Chicken:
Cooking Fresh Chicken in Instant Pot:
- With Fresh Chicken, you will use the Saute Feature of the IP and brown the chicken first. Sear on all sides in a tablespoon or so of oil, until the chicken has a nice brown color.
- After browning, you will want to remove the chicken and deglaze the bottom of the IP with 1/4 cup of water. Add the water while the saute feature is still on and use a flat wooden spoon (found here) to scrape all the goodness from the bottom of the pan before returning chicken and adding remaining ingredients.
- Fresh Chicken gets cooked 2 minutes less than frozen chicken.
Cooking Frozen Chicken in Instant Pot:
- Frozen Chicken is “everyone in the pool” type of meal. Everyone in and cook and enjoy!
- Frozen Chicken cooks 2 minutes longer than fresh chicken.
Instant Pot Best Chicken Ever
- 1 lb chicken breast fresh or frozen
- 1 bag small carrots
- 10-12 each red potatoes small - medium, quartered
- 1 bottle Italian Salad Dressing
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
For Fresh Chicken Breasts:
- Turn on the Saute feature of your Instant Pot and wait until the LED display reads "HOT"
- Add oil to pot and brown chicken on all sides for a few minutes. Remove from pan.
- Add 1/4 cup water and deglaze bottom of pan by scraping with a flat wooden spoon to get all the seared flavor bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Proceed to Step 1 below
For Frozen Chicken Breasts:
- Add in chicken, carrots, potatoes and entire bottle of Italian dressing into the pot.
- Place lid on pot and twist until sealed position. Turn Vent to "sealing".
- Use the Manual Setting and cook for: Frozen Chicken: 10 minutes Fresh Chicken: 8 minutes
- Allow the pot to Natural Pressure Release. Open lid and serve!
More Insant Pot Recipes You May Like:
IF YOU LIKE THIS, DON’T FORGET TO PIN IT!