If you need a simple and delicious cookie recipe that will make your heart grow three sizes, these cake mix Grinch cookies should be at the top of your list! These grinch cookies are buttery, soft, and chewy, the perfect amount of sweetness, and oh absolutely adorable on a holiday platter!
This post may contain Amazon Associate and other affiliate links.
As an Amazon affiliate, I earn a small commission from these links at no additional cost to you.
Pin Cake Mix Grinch CookiesPin It Here
Click the button above to save to your board for later!
Cake Mix Grinch Cookie Ingredients:
- Classic Yellow Cake Mix – You can use any yellow cake mix that you love! Be sure it’s yellow and not white so you get the perfect color! The Cake mix already contains the all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and sugar needed to create a cookie dough!
- Butter – Use unsalted butter. You can melt it on the stovetop or microwave. If using the microwave, I find the defrost setting works the best and the butter will not spatter! You can substitute the butter for vegetable oil if you are in a pinch or don’t want dairy. (equal parts)
- Eggs – It’s best to use room-temperature eggs but cold will work too! I used Grade A Large eggs
- Green Food Coloring – I used greenliquid food coloring. I have not tested the amount of gel food coloring. If that’s what you have, add a small bit at a time!
- Red Heart Confections or Red Decorating Icing – Red hearts are made from sugar. You can find them online or cake/baking stores. Sometimes they are in grocery stores! If you cannot find them, a tube of pre-made red decorating icing and a small decorating tip will work great.
This 5-ingredient cookie is soft, buttery and the perfect cookie to bring to a cookie swap! The red decorating icing hardens after only a few minutes and these can be stacked or laid out in rows or nicely on a platter!
Store any extras in an air-tight container for up to a week. I doubt you will have many leftovers for very long, though!
Don’t Miss Out!
Get all my delicious email recipes straight to your inbox!
How to Make Cake Mix Cookies
These are so simple. After you preheat an oven and line 2 baking sheets with parchment you will mix the cake mix, eggs, butter, and 5 drops of liquid green food coloring in a mixing bowl.
Stir to combine and then scoop the dough into 1.5 tablespoon balls and place on the lined baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove from the oven and use the flat bottom of a drinking glass to press the cookies flat. They will poof up a bit when they bake. Transfer to a wire cooling rack.
Add the candy heart or allow them to completely cool and then add the heart with icing!
5-Ingredient Grinch Cookie Recipe
Grinch Cake Mix Cookies
- cookie dough scoop - 1 ½ tablespoon
- Flat Bottomed Drinking Glass
- 15 ounce box yellow cake mix
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 24 pieces Heart candy or baking confections, or tube of red decorating frosting
- Green Food Coloring, liquid
- Preheat the oven to 350℉. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats and set aside.
- Add 5 drops of liquid green food coloring to the melted butter and mix well. This helps incorporate the color evenly.1/3 cup unsalted butter, Green Food Coloring
- In a large mixing bowl add the yellow cake mix, melted butter, and eggs and mix until a combined dough is formed.15 ounce box yellow cake mix, 1/3 cup unsalted butter, 2 eggs
- Use a small cookie scoop or a spoon to drop 1 ½ tablespoon sized balls onto the lined baking sheets. Leave some space between as the cookies will slightly spread.
- Bake at 350℉ for 10-12 minutes, until the tops are set and it reaches desired doneness. Don't overcook. You don't want the tops to be brown.
- Remove the cookies from the oven. They will be slightly risen, use the flat bottom of a drinking glass to flatten the cookies. A light press is all that is needed.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the pan a few minutes before transferring the cookies to a cooling rack.
- If using candy or baking hearts, press one of those into the cookies now. If piping on icing wait until the cookies are fully cooled before doing so.24 pieces Heart candy or baking confections
- Allow the cookies to cool completely.
MORE CHRISTMAS COOKIE RECIPES YOU MAY LOVE:
Leave A Reply!