If you have a home garden or simply the ability to get to a farmer’s market or grocery store, tomato relish is the perfect way to use that abundance of delicious tomatoes! This relish works best with cherry or grape tomatoes but you can certainly use regular tomatoes as well! This tomato relish is perfect on everything!
I have shared my Simple Tomato Pasta before as a great idea to use up your garden’s produce and this is similar but with added layers of flavor!
What Can You Use Tomato Relish On?
The answer would be shorter if I told you what you could NOT use it on :)
- Toast some crunchy french bread, spread burrata cheese, and top with tomato relish.
- Perfect atop some fresh spring greens mix
- Add to burgers and sandwiches
- Use as is as a side dish <–my favorite!
- Top chicken and add mozzarella for Caprese Chicken Dish
- Add to a Charcuterie board with meats and cheeses
- Top your favorite pasta
- Mix with some crusty bread and bell peppers for a quick Panzanella salad
What is the Different Between a Relish and Chutney?
Simple answer is relishes have a vinegar type taste and chutneys are sweeter. Chutneys usually use fruit and we all know tomatoes are a fruit but we classify them in the vegetable category which falls into a relish.
How to Store Relish
This recipes is not heating the relish to can it. This is a fresh tomato relish therefore it will store in an airtight container easily for up to a week in the refrigerator.
I like to store it in mason jars but that is just my preference. You can use which ever airtight containers you prefer!
MORE FRESH RECIPES YOU WILL LOVE:
- Garlic Butter Shrimp Pasta In White Wine Sauce
- Butternut Squash Pasta With Bacon And Blue Cheese
- Easy Pasta Salad
- Cucumber Salad Picnic Side Dish
- Apple Coleslaw
This post may contain Amazon Associate and other affiliate links.
As an Amazon affiliate, I earn a small commission from these links at no additional cost to you.
How to Make Tomato Relish
Chunky Tomato Relish
- 2 lbs cherry tomatoes, any variety/colors
- 1 each red onion , medium, sliced Chiffonade style
- ½ cup basil, fresh, chopped
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- ½ Tablespoon riced wine vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 ½ tbsp Brown Sugar
- ½ tsp oregano, ground
- 1 pinch garlic salt
- black pepper , to taste
- Rinse your cherry tomatoes and basil and drain.
- Slice the tomatoes in half and add to a medium bowl.
- Peel the red onion then slice it in half. Slice each half of onion chiffonade style (thin strips), and add to tomatoes in the bowl.
- Tear the basil and add that along with the minced garlic to the tomatoes and onions.
- In a small bowl combine the balsamic vinegar, rice vinegar, brwon sugar, lemon juice, garlic salt, oregano and pepper. Drizzle in the olive oil while whisking to create the dressing.
- Pour the dressing over the tomato mixture in the mixing bowl and mix to coat.
- Enjoy as a side dish, on sandwiches, saldads, pastas, breads and more.
Leave A Reply!