These layered heart shortbread cookies are perfect treats for Valentine’s Day or for your loved one’s birthday! Heart-shaped sandwich shortbread cookies give the look that you have baked all day!
This shortbread recipe is so versatile and you can use them as-is with coffee, iced or layered in sandwiches like we are doing today! You can also cut them in any shape that suits your holiday or occasion!
My husband is a huge raspberry lover so this easy raspberry filling makes these a great treat to say I love you! You could easily substitute strawberry as well!
You may also remember these heart-shaped cookies and milk cubes I made for the kids! They are a fan favorite also and a great after school special treat!
Shortbread Cookie Ingredients:
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup butter
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cream of tartar
Raspberry Filling Ingredients
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 8 fresh raspberries
This post may contain Amazon Associate and other affiliate links.
As an Amazon affiliate, I earn a small commission from these links at no additional cost to you.
Heart Shortbread Sandwich Cookies Kitchen Tools:
Don’t Miss Out!
Get all my delicious email recipes straight to your inbox!
Note for Raspberry Filled Shortbread Sandwich Cookies
The dough requires at least 4 hours to chill and the filling 1 hour. So plan for that when making these cookies! I like to mix up the dough and the filling and have them both chilling so when I am ready to roll, everything is done!
Heart Shortbread Cookie Recipe
Shortbread Sandwich Cookies
- Rolling Pin
Shortbread Cookie Ingredients
- In a large mixing bowl, add butter and whip with a hand mixer until creamy.
- Continue mixing while adding sugar gradually until fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time making sure fully incorporated before adding the next egg.
- Stir in vanilla
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, cream of tartar, salt and baking soda.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture in 1 cup increments, again making sure that it is fully incorporated before adding the next cup.
- When it reaches cookie dough consistency, form into a ball and place in the bowl. Cover and chill for a minimum of 4 hours (overnight is best!)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll the dough to approximately 1/8 inch thick.
- Cut with cookie cutters. Since making sandwich cookies it's important to cut even numbers of cookies. Half of the cut shapes will have a smaller shape cut from the center (top of cookie sandwich)
- Bake all pieces for 6-8 minutes until lightly brown on bottoms. The tops of the cookies will remain light-colored.
- Cool completely on a wire cooling rack.
- Combine butter, cream cheese, raspberries, and vanilla with 2 cups of the sugar and beat it with a hand mixer until fluffy.
- Add additional sugar to the mixture to achieve a spreadable consistency.
- chill, covered for 1 hour.
Assembling the Sandwich Cookies
- Spread raspberry filling on each of the bottom halves (whole cookies) and top with a cut-out cookie.
- You may add sprinkles or other garnish to the centers of the cookies if you wish or leave as is.
Heart Shortbread Cookie Storage instructions
Store these in an airtight container in the refrigerator. When I want to serve, I let rest on the counter for about 30 minutes and they are perfect!
PIN Heart Shortbread Sandwich Cookies
More Heart Projects and Sweet Treats: