What is better than tender juicy chicken, black beans and corn with a zesty taco seasoned broth??? A meal that is made in the crock pot! Crock Pot Chicken Taco Soup will not only have your house smelling amazing but it is hearty and satisfying and perfect meal for a cold busy day!
This taco soup recipe is delicious! Add some of the baked wonton curls at the end for some extra spicy crunch! Have you ever used wonton wrappers before? They are amazing! I use them for ravioli (recipe coming soon!) and I used them for my Sausage and Cheese Wonton Cups and I used them in this recipe for the crispy bite that completes this soup!
Seriously though….my kids ate this up like it was candy! I added a dollop of light sour cream and they were both like flies to honey! :) The black beans and chicken give this some substance and the corn gives it a bit of sweet edge. The tomatoes and the broth are the perfect “soup” base for this dish! It’s seasoned to perfection with packets of taco seasoning! No measuring, no guessing, just open packets and dump in! That’s my kind of meal!
Did I mention that this taco soup recipe was super simple??? That you just dump the ingredients into a Crock Pot, turn it on and then take credit for your house smelling amazing and your family being totally stoked about dinner?? I didn’t’?? Well here is the recipe, see for yourself!
Crock Pot Chicken Taco Soup
- Can Opener
- Soup Spoons
- Pizza Cutter
- 1 lb chicken breasts or tenderloins
- 15 ounces black beans, drained & rinsed
- 15 ounces whole kernal corn, drained
- 15 ounces chopped tomatoes, small can with juice
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning, 1 reserved for wonton curls
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth, can substitute water
For the Wonton Curls:
- Wonton wrappers
- reserved taco seasoning
- cooking spray
- Add all ingredients for the soup to the slow cooker.
- Cover and let cook on Low for 6 hours or High for 4 hours until chicken is fully cooked.
- Remove chicken from crock pot and shred with two forks. Return to crock pot. Mix.
For the Wonton Curls:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lay 6 wonton wrappers on a cooking sheet and very, very lightly spray with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle with reserved taco seasoning.
- Cut wrappers into strips with a pizza cutter.
- Form wrappers into "curls"
- Bake for about 5 minutes, watching closely as they go from good to burnt QUICKLY!
- Add a dollop of light sour cream and some shredded cheese. Top with wonton curls and serve!
If you are looking for a few more great crock pot recipes you should check out: Root Beer Pulled Pork and also Cheryl’s Famous Chili
Comments & Reviews
Emily @ Eco-friendly Emily says
This sounds great and easy! I’ll have to try it out soon!
This sounds awesome. The Duggar family also has a taco soup recipe that is fabulous and freezes beautifully. Try it sometime. I highly recommend!
I love the idea of the wonton curls. You are a genius.
April @ Angel's Homestead says
Love this! I’d like to invite you to link up to Saturday Spotlight @ Angels Homestead.
Hope to see you there :)
This looks delicious, Cheryl :) Thanks for sharing at the party. Pinning and Stumbling.
love that it is made with chicken just made taco soup with beef for the family it went over well gonna try this soon
Looks and sounds yummy!
Erika Monroe-Williams- The Hopeless Housewife says
This looks delicious!! I will have to give this a try!! I would love it if you would add this to our link party tomorrow at The Hopeless Housewife!! I think everyone will love it!!
This was good although a lot of the liquid cooked out. Maybe my crock pot runs hot as we were within the cooking times. I added a bunch of greens to my bowl for a taco salad/burrito bowl since it was not a soup anymore. I loved it. None of us were big on the wonton curls. They weren’t burned but may have been a tad over cooked as they were a little too crunchy/hard so watch those wonton curls, people!!