This delicious and hearty chili recipe contains three different kinds of beans so it’s sure to fill the hungriest of stomachs! It’s packed with flavor and the fresh cilantro adds the perfect bit of freshness to the dish! In true chili fashion, it’s even better the next day! This recipe can easily be made in your Crock Pot as well as stove top! This recipe has become a favorite of my family’s and everyone I share it with!
I will even go so boldly as to say my 3 bean chili recipe is famous. I might even go so far as to say it will become your favorite…yep, it’s that good. I am not full of myself, I only make these claims because everyone who eats my chili LOVES it and requests the recipe. Like to the point of hounding me down for it. Seriously..here it is get off my back!!! I have had people rearrange travel plans before just to partake in the chili goodness.
Cheryl’s Famous Chili RecipePrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef, may also use ground turkey
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 16 ounces low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion power
- 2 tablespoons grill seasoning, (steak,hamburger or chicken grill seasonings)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes, large can
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, low sodium
- 1 15 ounce can white kidney beans, navy or great northern work great)
- 1 15 ounce can light red kidney beans
- 2 tablespoons corn meal
- 6 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- to taste salt/pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Brown ground beef and add salt/pepper (large pinch of each). Drain fat. Set meat aside (in colander works great).
- Add 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil (enough to coat bottom of pot) and add onions and green peppers and another pinch of salt/pepper. Stir over medium-high heat until onions are translucent.
- Add garlic and stir for another 2 minutes. Add meat back to pot.
- Add Chicken broth, chili powder, cumin, onion powder, grill seasoning, tomato paste and bring to boil.
- While waiting for the boil, drain and rinse all 3 cans of beans.
- Add beans once pot is boiling and then also add tomatoes (liquid included). Also add 2 tablespoons of corn meal*
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Before serving stir in cilantro.
- Serve with a dollop of light sour cream, corn bread and your favorite fixings!
*If making corn muffins also, I use 2 tablespoons of corn muffin mix in place of cornmeal, if I don’t have cornmeal on hand!
You can top this delicious chili with your favorite fixings! I prefer a bit of cheese, a dallop of sour cream and some more fresh cilantro on top. Some other crowd favorites have been onion, jalepenos, gold fish crackers (can you guess who loves those?) peperoni and some oyster crackers!
What are your favorite toppings to add to your chili to make it your own famous version??
I’d love for you to check out all my RECIPES while you are here! I am sure there is something you will LOVE!