Are you football fans in your house?? Like I said before we are a Minnesota Vikings family here but even if your team isn’t playing everyone seems to love the Super Bowl! Even non football fans…still like to get together with friends to eat food and watch a game! It’s almost a holiday, really! These Sausage and Cheese Wonton Cups are a crowd pleaser!
So tell me, do YOU have your game plan for the Super Bowl?? (Game plan…see what I did there?!? I crack myself up sometimes!) Whether you are hosting the big game at your own home or if you are attending someone else’s you probably need to make something for game day. Have no fear! I have a couple of not so everyday appetizers to share with you that will be perfect for the big game and big appetites! They are hearty and delicious and not your typical chips-n-cheese appetizer dish! Your guests will think you spent all day in the kitchen preparing or your host/hostess will be amazed at your hail Mary appetizer you brought over (ok I will stop with the football term puns)
Today I am so excited to share with you my recipe for Sausage and Cheese Wonton Cups! This appetizer is totally versatile. Change out the sausage for ground beef, add peppers or other mix-ins to change the taste and the best thing yet about these…you can make the filling a day a head and/or even freeze it and have it in your freezer for a go to appetizer! I love dishes that I can make ahead and still taste awesome! Because let’s face it…the three days before your event you are free as a bird. The day of you normally have to run to basketball practice, the other kid won’t nap, you forgot something at the grocery store and have to run back…and on and on and on…what? Only me?
Sausage and Cheese Wonton Cups
- 1 package Wonton Wrappers (commonly found in the produce section)
- 1 lb ground sausage
- 1 cup ranch dressing
- 3 cups shredded cheese cheddar, monterrey jack, colby or pepperjack
- cooking spray
- 1 can sliced black olives optional, small can
- salsa optional
- Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray your mini-muffin pan with cooking spray. Dab out any excess spray with a paper towel.
- Brown your sausage in a skillet and drain excess grease.
- In large bowl combine your browned sausage, ranch dressing and cheese. You can use all the same kind of cheese or mix and match. Cheddar and Colby are my favorites! Mix until incorporated.
- Place a wonton wrapper into each mini-muffin spot on your pan forming cups.
- Fill each wonton cup with about 1 tablespoon of filling.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes watching the cups closely! The tips of the cups will burn fast!
- Garnish with a black olive slice and serve with salsa on the side.
© That’s What Che Said, LLC. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe.
If you are looking to serve these delicious wonton cups on a pretty plate, you should check out how I made my Painted MN Vikings Plate that is food and top rack dishwasher safe! Perfect to cheer on your favorite team! Be sure to check back soon for my Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus Twists! Those are mouth-watering also!
You can also check out my whole collection of Appetizer Recipes!