Dress up an iconic snack for a patriotic holiday with some melting chocolate and red, white, and blue sprinkles! 4th of July Rice Krispie Treats are not only easy but perfect for patriotic celebrations.
Rice Krispie Treats are one of my favorite desserts…snacks? OK Both! I am not sure even how to classify them because we use them as treats after dinner and then also snack on them because of the delicious factor!
Today we are going to dress them up for 4th of July. You can also use these for Memorial Day, Labor Day or Veteran’s day! Switch out the sprinkles for any other holiday or occasion as well!
Tips for the Best Rice Krispie Treats
- Don’t skimp on the marshmallows. Most recipes call for only 1 bag of marshmallows. Throw that recipe out the window, lol. 2 bags is where it’s at!
- Use Mini marshmallows vs Large ones. Mini melts more evenly and faster!
- DON’T USE HIGH HEAT! I repeat don’t use medium or high heat. I know you want to. I know we have places to go and people to see but don’t do it. High heat, even medium heat, is the culprit for finished rice krispie treats that are HARD. We want soft and gooey, right?
- Let them cool on the counter vs refrigerator. Quicker cooling also sounds good, right? Back to those places to go and people to see but those magnificent sugar crystalline structures in there need to set at their own pace and not be rushed. This can also lead to hard finished treats.
For your convenience, this post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
Equipment needed for Rice Krispie Treats
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Measuring Cup
- 9×13 Baking Dish
- Wax Paper
- Medium Saucepan
- Cutting Board
- Microwave Safe Bowl
Ingredients needed for 4th of July Krispie Treats
- 6 cups of Rice Krispie cereal
- (2) 16 oz bags of mini marshmallows
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
- White chocolate melting wafers
- Patriotic Sprinkles
Don’t want to go out for groceries? Get all your ingredients delivered with one of these great services! I have used them all!!
- Instacart – Get FREE 2 week trial of Instacart Express
- Shipt – delivery in less than an hour in most areas
- Walmart – Delivery or Pickup You can see my post and video here
MORE RICE KRISPIE TREAT IDEAS YOU MAY LOVE:
- Basketball Rice Krispies
- Easter Nest Rice Krispie Treats
- Football Rice Krispie Treats
- Chocolate Covered Strawberry Rice Krispie Treats
- Watermelon Rice Krispie Treats
4th of July Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
Patriotic Rice Krispie Treats
- 32 oz mini marshmallows, (2) 16 oz bags
- 1/2 cup butter, (1) stick
- 6 cups Rice Krispie Cereal
- 1 bag Wilton Candy Melts, white chocolate
- Patriotic Sprinkles
- non-stick cooking spray
- Prepare a 9 x 13 baking dish by covering the inside with wax paper and lightly spraying with non stick spray.
- Measure out the Rice Krispie cereal into a large mixing bowl, set aside.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat
- Reduce the heat to low and add 24 ounces of mini marshmallows (1½ bags) to the melted butter and continue to heat, stirring continuously until the marshmallows have metled and become smooth and creamy.
- Remove the marshmallow mixture from the heat and immediately pour over the cereal.
- Add in remaining marshmallows.
- Gently fold the mixture together.
- Pour the cereal and marshmallow mixture into the 9 x 13 baking dish and press into an even layer. Buttering your fingers helps with this or using wax paper. Caution the mixture will be HOT!
- Once pressed into an even layer, allow to cool.
- Once cool, cut treats into 24 bars.
- Next, follow the directions on the candy melts bag to melt the white candy melts.
- While candy melts are melting, prepare an area for dipping by laying out pieces of wax paper. Get your sprinkles ready.
- Drizzle treats with the melted chocolate, dip end in chocolate or dip the top side. Immediately place on wax paper and top with sprinkles. Allow to fully harden before serving.