A seasonal spin on a classic snack mix! Make this Fall Puppy Chow recipe for your next hayride, fire, gathering, or party! It’s always a hit! It uses brownie mix along with seasonal add-ins like candy corn, pretzels, and Oreo cookies!
Why is it called Puppy Chow?
It’s a rather unfortunate story and one you may not really need an explanation to figure out why. It was said it looked similar to a brand of dog food. Don’t let that deter you though, I’d have to imagine chocolate and peanut butter and sugar are way better than what dog food would taste like! I can’t say I have sampled, kibble myself, lol.
Don’t Miss Out!
Get all my delicious email recipes straight to your inbox!
Ingredients for Fall Puppy Chow:
- Rice Chex cereal – use name brand or store brand
- Semisweet chocolate chips
- Peanut butter – use chunky if you like peanut pieces!
- Butter – unsalted is best
- Vanilla extract
- Mini pretzels (slightly crushed)
- Candy corn
- Oreos (slightly crushed)
- Reese’s pieces
- Powdered sugar
- Brownie mix
How to Make Fall Puppy Chow Snack Mix
Add the rice cereal to a large bowl.
In a microwave-safe bowl add chocolate chips, butter, and peanut butter.
Microwave the mixture for one minute, stir and then in 30-second additional increments until it is smooth and creamy.
Add the melted chocolate mixture to the rice cereal and gently mix to coat.
Separate the mixture into two gallon zip top bags. Add powdered sugar to one bag and brownie mix to the other bag. Gently mix the cereal to coat.
Spread both bags on a parchment-lined baking sheet to cool and set.
Once set, add it to a bowl along with the Oreo cookies, pretzels, Reese’s pieces, and candy corn candies. Mix and enjoy.
Additional Puppy Chow Add-in Options
- M&M candies
- mini Reese’s peanut butter cups
- Broken-up Butterfinger bars
- Mini Chocolate chip cookies
- Teddy Grahams
You may also like my Holiday Puppy Chow recipe too!
Fall Puppy Chow
- Ziploc Bag Gallon size
- Pour the chex cereal into a large bowl and set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add the chocolate chips, butter and peanut butter and microwave for 30 seconds at a time until melted, stir after every 30 seconds. Once melted add in the vanilla and stir.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the Chex cereal and carefully stir to coat, trying not to crush the cereal. Divide between two gallon size Ziploc bags and pour the powdered sugar into one and the brownie mix into the other, then seal and shake to evenly coat all of the cereal.
- Spread the cereal out on parchment paper to let the chocolate harden up a bit, for about 20 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the chocolate coated cereal with the pretzel pieces, candy corn, Oreo pieces, and Reese’s pieces carefully stir to mix together. Enjoy!
Add what ever shape pretzels you’d like!
You can add Reese’s cups instead of Reese’s pieces.