If you are a burger and fry lover then you will love this cheeseburger tater tot casserole! This is a quick and delicious weeknight dinner idea and you can dress it up like you would your favorite burger!
You know that feeling when you make something for dinner and not one single person in your family complains about it? Well, that is the feeling I get when I add this to my weekly menu!
Everyone gobbles it up and it’s a comfort food casserole that we have more often than not these days! This casserole contains no pasta so I guess it is actually more like a hotdish for all my Minnesotan friends! You know what I am talking about! Meat and add-ins topped with tater tots!
Something to be Thankful for
Click the button above to save to your board for later!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon affiliate, I earn a small commission from these links at no additional cost to you.
Cheeseburger Tatertot Casserole Ingredients
- 1 lb ground beef
- Approx 50 frozen tater tots (a little over half a bag)
- Pickles chips or Relish
- Dried Onion
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Don’t want to shop for the ingredients? No problem! You can get a 14 day InstaCart Express free trial and have everything you need to be delivered to your door!
Cheeseburger Casserole Kitchen Tools
Notes & Variations on Cheeseburger Casserole Recipe
A few notes about this recipe. I make it a bit different each time and here is why. For the onions, my kids cannot find their stinking shoes IN FRONT OF THEIR FACE, however, the oldest can find one teensy tiny onion bit in his food as if it jumped out and smacked him in the face. So I use dried onion bits in place of real onions on most occasions. For real onions, you just saute when you brown the meat.
Pickles. These are a hot topic as well. My family likes pickle so I layer dill pickle chips on top of the cheese mixture on top of the meat. If you aren’t such a pickle loving family a few tablespoons of relish mixed in with the ketchup and mustard will do the trick also!
Love bacon? Who doesn’t? Make this a Bacon Cheeseburger Casserole by mixing in bacon bits or frying up a few slices, chopping them into bitesize pieces and adding to a layer!
Feeling the BBQ? Substitute the ketchup and mustard for BBQ sauce! I highly recommend this substitution with the addition of bacon and using real onions. YUM!
I told you, you can dress this cheeseburger casserole up just as you do with your favorite burger.
Cheeseburger Tatertot Casserole
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 tbsp minced dried onion
- 2 tbsps ketchup
- 2 tsp yellow mustard
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp All-Purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded, divided
- 1/2 cup dill pickle slices, chip style, not long slices
- 50 each tatertots, frozen
- 1 tbsp parsley, chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the ground beef and onion seasoning and cook until browned. Drain any grease from skillet.
- Add in ketchup and mustard, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Layer beef mixture into a casserole dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray in an even layer.
- Add a single layer of pickle slice (chips).
- In the same skillet you cooked the beef in, add butter and melt completely over medium heat. Add flour and continue to stir until the mixture is golden brown (approx 5 minutes).
- Add milk to the rue mixture and stir until fully incorporated (3 minutes)
- Slowly add in 1.5 cups of cheese and stir until the sauce has thickened and if you run a spoon down the center of your pan, the line remains after 5 seconds.
- Transfer the cheese sauce to the casserole dish, evenly layering on top of the beef and pickle layers.
- Finish the casserole by layering tater tots in a single layer but placed close to one another. I used approx 50 tots.
- Bake at 350 for 35 minutes. Remove add the remaining half cup of shredded cheese and return to oven for an additional 5 minutes. Garnish with chopped parsley if desired.
How to Store & Reheat Cheeseburger Tater Tot Bake
If you have any leftovers, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
To reheat – you can warm in the microwave or my favorite is to place on an oven-safe dish and warm in my air fryer! Makes the tater tots taste like it’s the first time they were cooked! So good! I normally do 350 for 3 minutes and that does the trick!