Oh goodness! This Fettuccine with Meatballs might just be heaven on a plate!
I am not a big spaghetti and meatballs fan, so I was really surprised that I LOVED these guys! I prefer not to make the actual spaghetti noodles for meals because 1. they are hard for my kids to eat, especially the little guy and 2. apparently my husband has an aversion to the noodles also. He really dislikes angel hair! (Who knew?!?) So I normally stick to rotini or Mostaccioli noodles. I have to say I am a huge fan of the fresh fettuccine noodles. They worked great and everyone was happy! Including me! I am now a meatball lover…as long as they follow this recipe :)
- 9 ounces refrigerated fettuccine
- 12 ounces ground sirloin
- 1/2 cup panko
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon onion bits
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 jar of marinara sauce
- grated parmesan for topping
- Cook the pasta according to the directions. Before draining pasta water, reserve 1/3 cup.
- Combine sirloin, panko, parmesan cheese, garlic, onion bits, onion powder, salt, pepper and egg in bowl and mix together. Form into meatballs about golf ball size. I ended up with about 18 meatballs. Note: You can also prepare these during naptime (in peace and quiet) and store in the refrigerator until needed at dinner time :)
- Heat olive oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add meatballs and sear until brown on all sides.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add marinara sauce and the pasta water. Cover and cook for 11 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked through.
- Divide the pasta and layer with the meatballs and marinara sauce. Top with grated parmesan cheese!
I served this pasta dish with Fresh Garlic Bread and a garden salad. I can’t wait to make it again! It was delicious!
Original recipe courtesy of Cooking Light